Monday, March 3, 2008

The Birthday Cake Story...

So a lot of people asked if I made Bienna's Cake. I did not make the cake. I bought it from a little bakery in Midway. There's a pretty cute story that goes along with the cake. I knew what I wanted and ordered the cake a week in advance. The lady told me I could pick it up Saturday AFTER 4p.m. and they would be open until 6p.m. After we got home from the office Saturday I ran up to pick the cake up. When I got there they were all closed up. It was around 5:45 on Saturday night and I sat in the parking lot crying because there would be no cake! (Yes, I know where my daughter gets the drama queen in her from, please don't remind me again that she gets this quality from me!) I called the number listed on the door and told the answering machine that I was there to pick the cake up but nobody was there. Feeling low and devastated I called Steve bawling, telling him that the party was going to be terrible because I didn't have a cake for her. Steve, being the cute husband that he is, sends me to the store to pick up some stuff. By the time I got home he already had the egg whites sitting in a bowl (Apparently they had to sit out for 30 minutes) and he was ready to put together a home made vanilla cake. We sat down together and decided on making a lady bug cake with butter cream frosting. Steve then sent me BACK to the store to pick up black licorice for the antennas and the little thing you use to put frosting in it to decorate the cake. It's like 8 pm now and Steve is pretty much finished making the batter for the cake and had picked out the perfect glass bowl to bake the cake in so the body of the lady bug would have a perfect circle, when the phone rings and I recognize the number as the bakery shop. The ladies daughter had a ballroom dance competition and left a little early but asked if I could come up right then and pick the cake up... So I did, and the party went on and Sienna LOVED her cake. The home made cake Steve made sat on the counter undecorated. But really it was the effort that counts. I am still amazed that my husband knew how to make a cake from scratch and was willing to stay up for who knows how long decorating the cake, just so his princess would have the perfect 1st birthday party!!! And really, who actually follows the instructions and leaves the egg whites sitting on the counter for precisely 30 minutes??? Man how I love that boy!!! Let's not forget that he did want me to work while he went to culinary school.

3 comments:

slymer said...

colin would offer to go BUY a cake. NEVER make one! Take advantage of that in the future! She's a cutie! Glad you liked her clips.

Chelsea Johnson said...

What a good little husby! The party looks like it was a big hit! Time seriously flies!

Natalee Maynes said...

This is such a cute story. He's a keeper. Sienna looked so cute in all those cute pictures on her birthday. She is absolutely adorable. The cake was the cutest I've seen, but I do love that Steve was going to make his own. I also love your new blog layout. It is fabulous.