Thursday, February 5, 2009

Kauai


This was a secret beach we found. It was so pretty & there were
very few people there.

So, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed on posting Hawaii... I took way to many pictures. We had so much fun & I kind of wish we were still there... We were supposed to go to Kauai for a conference put on my Steve's Optometry school that he graduated from. We started planning on going about 4 months ago. When my grandparents found out we were going my Nana asked if she would be imposing if she came along. After she decided to go my parents jumped on board and we started planning! Steve ended up ditching the conference. We stayed at the same hotel that it was taking place and he kept running in to people he went to school with and his professors. They all kept saying they hadn't seen him at any of the meetings... He just decided he wanted to play and not miss out on anything. Sienna did so good on the flight over. We had a couple of layovers in California and I was a little worried about the long flight from California to Hawaii, but she shocked us & was a little trooper. When we were flying into Kauai Sienna was sitting on my moms lap and as she was looking out the window she says "Oh Look, there's a whale..." I just started laughing. She had no idea at this point what a whale was & I have no idea where that ever came from but it was pretty dang cute! Also when she saw it was raining when we landed she said "Oh man, it's nowing" Little did she know we were out of the snow for a while.




Listening to the ocean in a seashell...


Grandpa Seth & Sienna found a little fresh water stream that went
into the ocean. The water in the little stream was Freezing cold!

I had Sienna in a little dress to walk on the beach. Surprisingly
she ended up pretty close to naked!



Hanging out on our balcony. Those slits in the fence are so wide
Sienna could have fell from them. It scared the crap out of me
& made sure she never went out there alone!!!

Our boat crew. One of the kids had never been to the mainland. He was jealous
I lived where there was snow & I was jealous he got to live in paradise. When we got
onto the boat he said "welcome to my office" how great would it be to just sail every
day? The boat tour was my favorite thing that we did. We left early in the morning & sailed
all day! Sienna loved it & kept looking for "dude" the turtle.

Kauai farmers market. Of course being with my daddy we had to
hit up the local farmers market. We got there a little early & they had
it roped off so you couldn't enter. Before they brought the rope down a
lady came out and lectured everyone on stampeding & pushing & shoving.
Right at 3:00 someone blew a whistle & everyone rushed in. It was so funny
watching everyone running from vendor to vendor. We got so much fresh fruit.
We got Apple Banana's (thanks to Michelle's sister for talking about these on
her blog...) star apples, fresh pineapple, these weird spiky looking things that
tasted amazing & more pineapple. My favorite was the apple bananas. I wish
I could have those everyday!!! Yum!



Na Pali Coast... This place was amazing!!!

This picture doesn't even look real. This was the view from
our condo.

Nana & Baby Girl hanging out at the pool

The last day I didn't take Sienna back to the room to nap.
We wore her completely out & fell asleep on a pool chair!



The Marriott we stayed at had the most amazing swimming pool
I have ever seen. I judge hotels based purely on the pools so this
one is a new favorite. It was huge & had 6 hot tubs!



Eating a cream puff...

Grandpa was in charge of watching the "dragon" he fell asleep on the job!

So one thing that drove me CRAZY about being in Hawaii is
that NONE of the places we went to eat had Dr. Pepper... Seriously
who doesn't have Dr. Pepper??? Luckily my cute husband hit up
costco & bought me a case of it and I took it with me to dinner!

Drinking one of the many "Lava Flows" we had
throughout our stay. We fell in love with this drink
when we lived in Oahu. It's a mixture of pina colada &
strawberry... It was so good. Sienna instantly fell in love
with it as well.



There were chickens ALL over the Island. Apparently back in 1994 they
had a hurricane and it brought chickens onto the island. I swear they are
taking over... Grandpa Tingey told Sienna if she was able to put salt on the
chickens tail, then she would be able to catch it... She spent about an hour chasing
the poor chicken all over the pool area... After she figured out she wouldn't be
able to get salt on the chicken she decided to just poor it all over the ground.
I have to say it was pretty entertaining watching her chase those chickens
around...

When we were at tunnels beach Sienna was playing in the sand when
all of a sudden I heard her say "eww, nasty, a bug..." I went over & their
was a little sand crab running away from her. We played with it for a while
& she thought it was pretty great.

Looking @ the crab



The Island was so green... It reminded me so much of Oregon,
except the beaches were a lot warmer then the Oregon beaches.
It made me a little homesick for Oregon!

She would jump off the sand hill... Good thing she broke her
leg After we returned to Utah...

She had so much sand in her diaper after this little excursion

You have to look really close, but there's the little sand crab she found.

We found coconuts & Steve was determined to get
it open. He was so proud when he cracked it open.

Kauai sunset







Sienna Loved jumping in the waves. When we went to Tunnels
Beach her daddy wasn't paying attention & a huge wave came in
& knocked her over. After that she was a little hesitant to get close
but soon became brave & went back in!


Grandpa Grant & Sienna @ Tunnels Beach



10 year wedding anniversary!

We went on a boat cruise to see the Na Pali Coast line. On this Island
you can't drive around the whole thing. You have to either hike in, Boat in
or helicopter in. The day we chose to go was perfect. We saw TONS of whales
with their babies. Spinning dolphins, turtles & monk seals. Sienna love the boat
& at one point we stopped to see the spinning dolphins and she could almost
reach over and touch them. Her favorite part was seeing the turtles or as she called
them "Dude"

Nana & Grandpa on the boat tour...







We stopped to see the spouting horn & I almost ran into this
scary spider... It scared me to DEATH!!! I was told it was just
a garden spider but if I saw that thing crawling around my house
I would have a heart attack!

Sienna slept so well while we were there. We would literally wear
her out during the day & by the time we made it back to the room
she was asking us to go Night Night...

Spinning dolphins...

This is where Sienna was trying to touch the dolphins. They
were directly below her.





She was trying to carry all the coconuts. They were almost
as big as she was!







We attempted to get our feet print in the sand... Sienna would
not cooperate. She just didn't understand the importance of the
scrapbook moment.









Watching the waves with Mee-Mah

I love my dad in the picture. He just looks so dang cute!

Loved this sign...

Riding the escelator with daddy! We had to do this several
times a day!

The Marriott that we stayed at had a huge Koi pond out front.
Every morning they would let the kids feed them. There we million
of fish in that thing & Sienna loved feeding them. It was pretty amazing
seeing them at feeding time.



Another view from our room...

This picture is amazing. It was raining & I thought it looked
like a postcard picture moment. This is the view from our room
looking out to the pool area...

I'm pretty sure this is the best vacation we have ever taken. We were so lucky that my parents & Grandparents decided to tag along... Here's to next year... Maui 2010, right Grandpa????
Thanks for all the memories that we will hold onto forever. We are so lucky to have you & Sienna is the luckiest little girl ever!!!

10 comments:

jill said...

What a wonderful time. Glad you shared the pictures, I am watching it snow right now, the pictures were great. What wonderful memories. Hope you and Seinna are feeling better.
Welcome home, we missed you all.
Love ya
Gma Jill

The Crazy Wolf Pack said...

I am so jealous. I loved it in Hawaii and I have been dying to go back!!! Thank you for sharing your pictures. Maybe Nick & I can make it back for our 10th anniversary only have to wait 2 more years.

Tasia said...

Those pictures are fabulous. I loved seeing what cute outfit/swimsuit baby girl would be wearing next. :) With your help maybe we can get Jer on board for next year :) The hotel looked amazing glad you had fun since the week after was one you will want to quickly forget.

Team Huffaker said...

Kauai was one of my favorite islands! I am so jealous! You guys are awesome and Sienna is so fun. I love seeing pictures and hearing all her funny stories. TTFN

~Tasha

Giselle Rasheta said...

Ho-ly. I'm so jealous. Your vacation looks AMAZING and it's no wonder Steve ditched the conference. Your pictures are beautiful and Sienna is, as always, a doll. It's hard to imagine her talking SO much when she seems so little!

You can take me with you next time, you know...if you want :)

Kath said...

Is that the most beautiful Island or what? We loved that hotel, too...that's where most of our engagement pictures were taken when we went their with my family. Looks like you had so much fun...what great memories! Once in a lifetime chance to get to go with parents AND grandparents!

Kath said...

I meant "there" not "their." Proof reading is recommended! Sorry for the poor English typo.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Yay, you are not private any more! I love all the pics, except I am totally jealous! Sorry about Sienna's foot. I hope it heals fast.

Allison said...

That looks like so much fun! We are going to Hawaii in a couple months and taking both of our kids, so looking at your pictures totally made me excited (and less worried about hauling the kids there).

Blanchards said...

Steve, 8 years of school and a single coconut keeps you entertained for hours. That's what she said.. Rachel thinks Sienna is the cutest person on the planet. I would have to agree. Thanks for the invite on the Hawaii trip! Looks like you had a great time. Rach and I enjoyed the photos.